Rich has extensive jury trial experience in state and federal courts in defense of matters involving medical malpractice, wrongful death, and other healthcare-related claims.
He advises hospitals, health insurers and health care practitioners on all legal issues, including medical malpractice, credentialing, employment, risk management, and contracts.
Rich is also Bar Counsel to the Stark County Bar Association grievance committee assisting in the investigation of misconduct by lawyers and prosecuting complaints against lawyers before the Supreme Court of Ohio.
He has been recognized over the years as one of Ohio’s Super Lawyers™ and Best Lawyers in America®, and has a Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV.
Rich and his wife Laura have four adult children. For the past twenty years Rich has been very involved in education affairs having served on the Canton City Schools Board of Education as well as the board of the Stark Education Partnership. He currently leads the Stark Education Partnership Advisory Board.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio’s Super Lawyers™ (2004-2023)
- Best Lawyers in America®: Lawyer of the Year, Health Care Law, Akron (2013, 2017, 2020)
- Best Lawyers in America®: Lawyer of the Year, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, Akron (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2010-2024)
- Recognized as one of the “Top Attorneys in Civil Litigation Defense” in the 2008 – 2010 Corporate Counsel Edition of Super Lawyers™
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV, which indicates very high to pre-eminent legal ability and very high ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Stark County Bar Association
- Past President, Stark County Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, an Affiliated Society of the Ohio Hospital Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Foundation
- Member, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Past Member, Ohio Supreme Court Task Force to Review the Ohio Disciplinary System
- Past Member, Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline of the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Member, Advisory Board: Stark Education Partnership
- Elder, Christ Presbyterian Church
- Past President, Member, Board of Education, Canton City Schools
- Past President, Players Guild of Canton
- Chapter Author: “Legal Consideration: ‘So You Want to be Sued for Malpractice’” in Bouncebacks! Emergency Department Cases: ED Returns, Michael B. Weinstock, M.D. & Ryan Longstreth, M.D., Anadem Publishing (2006)
- Contributor: Bouncebacks! Medical and Legal, Michael B. Weinstock, M.D. & Ryan Longstreth, M.D., Anadem Publishing (2011)
Rich regularly speaks on medical malpractice, risk management, attorney ethics, and healthcare issues.
- “Navigating the Minefield of Medical Records Discovery,” Stark County Bar Association, Family Law Seminar (March 2018)
- (“Malpractice Avoidance,” Adena Regional Medical Center (January 2016)
- “Under Attack: Your Documentation on Trial,” Union Hospital (March, 2013)
- “Nursing Law,” MRDD Nursing Seminar (February 2013)
- “Your Documentation on Trial: Would it Stand Up to Close Scrutiny?,” Union Hospital (November, 2011)
- “Can we still do the right thing?,” Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Perspective, teleconference participant to listenership of almost 10,000 emergency physicians internationally (March 2009)
- “BounceBacks: Headache,” Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Perspectives, teleconference participant (October 2008)
- “BounceBacks: Unanticipated Death,” Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Perspectives, teleconference participant (April 2008)
- “Syncope: A Medical and Legal Case Presentation,” Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Perspectives, teleconference participant (February 2008)
- “Avoiding Bouncebacks: A 76 Year Old Woman with Syncope,” Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Perspectives, teleconference participant (January 25, 2007)
- “Under Attack: Your Documentation on Trial,” (December 8, 2006)
- “Mortality Morbidity Conference,” Mt. Carmel St. Anne’s Hospital (November 13, 2006)
- “Computer Documentation and the Nurse – A Legal Review” (October 26, 2006)
- “Medical Malpractice and your Physician Office – Tips to Reduce Your Risk” (October 4, 2006)
- “Residents – Medical Malpractice Liability – Eliminating and Reducing Risk” (September 11, 2006)
- “Documentation and Legal Liability for the Coronary Care Nurse,” Guidant Corporation
- “Legal Issues in Cardiovascular Care,” Aultman Heart Center & Northern Ohio Chapter of the American College of Cardiovascular Nursing
- “Medical Malpractice and the Coronary Care Nurse,” Aultman Heart Center, Kent State University Conference Center
- “Tort Reform – Is it Making a Difference? Understanding and Avoiding Medical Malpractice Risk”
- “Ethical Considerations: Conflicts & The Tripartite Relationship”, Stark County Academy of Justice (February 22, 2013)
- “Ethics Tips for the Practicing Attorney”, Stark County Bar Association (June 27, 2012)
- “Staying Out of Trouble: Helpful Ethics Tips”, Stark County Academy of Justice (November 5, 2010)
- “Elder Law and the New Ohio Ethics Rules,” Area Agency on Aging, Akron, Ohio (January 19, 2007)
- “The New Model Rules – What You Need to Know by February 1, 2007,” Stark County Bar Association (December 1, 2006)
- “Ethical Issues and Elder Law,” Stark County Bar Association (September 21, 2006)
- “Ethics and Professionalism,” Stark County Bar Association (June 28, 2006)
- “Ethics and Deposition Practice,” National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (Orlando, Florida, Winter Meeting)